Metal Toxicity in birds – X-Ray

Parrots are intelligent and curious creatures.

They have the intelligence of a three to five year old child. However, like young children, their inquisitive nature often gets them into trouble. One of the most common reasons for owners presenting their pet parrots to my surgery is heavy metal poisoning. Parrots are attracted to shiny objects such as gold and silver jewellery. However, precious metals, like gold and silver don’t harm the bird. it is other metals such as lead, zinc, copper, aluminium and chrome that are toxic to pet and aviary birds.

Sources of metal within households are many and varied. In aviaries and cages, galvanized wire can be a source of poisoning. Galvanizing requires wire to be coated in zinc to prevent rust. If the zinc is applied unevenly, or blobs form where wires cross over, birds can chew the zinc off the wire. Larger birds can actually bite off and swallow pieces of the wire.

Other common sources of metals within the home can include:-

  • Lead light ornaments
  • Electrical leads
  • Tracks of sliding aluminium window and door frames
  • Lead fishing sinkers
  • Shotgun pellets
  • Lead solder
  • Lead paint
  • Metal toys
  • Christmas decorations
  • Lead weights at the bottom of curtains
  • Foil from wine bottles
  • Batteries
  • Bases of light bulbs etc.

The list is endless. If there is metal in the environment and the pet parrot has unsupervised, free-range of the house, it will inevitably be poisoned by chewing on toxic, heavy metals.

Symptoms of metal toxicity vary in accordance to the type of metal ingested, the surface area of the particles and the length of time the metals have been present in the gastro-intestinal tract or bloodstream. The common symptoms that alert me to the possibility of metal poisoning are – green, sticky droppings, excessive drinking then vomiting, depression, convulsions, blood stained urates.

Metal poisoning can be diagnosed by blood tests that measure the lead or zinc levels in the blood and by X-Ray which may show particles of metal in the bird’s stomach.

Birds suffering from heavy metal toxicity require hospitalization and intensive care. Injections of an antidote are required to neutralize the metal salts within the blood stream. The patient must also be stomach tubed several times daily with paraffin oil mixtures to coat the metal particles in the stomach to help them pass from the body. Intensive supportive care is also needed (fluid therapy and crop tube feeding) to ensure the patient’s survival. In cases of acute lead poisoning where the bird is convulsing, sedatives must be administered.

Usually, 90% of birds suffering from metal poisoning recover uneventfully if diagnosed correctly and given the appropriate treatment.

How can you prevent your pet from being poisoned by toxic metals? Firstly, check the wire of cage or aviaries. Galvanized wire should be scrubbed with vinegar and a wire brush. Dags of zinc should be physically removed. It is best to use wire that is powder coated or pointed with a non-toxic, water based paint. Powder coated cages are also safest to buy. Wire should be of a heavy enough gauge, ‘chicken wire’. Secondly, pet parrots should never be allowed to have free, unsupervised access to the house. Like small children, everything new goes straight into their mouths. Therefore, like small children, they should be supervised at all times. Try to be aware of the sources of metal within your environment and make your home ‘bird safe’.

© Peter Wilson July 2010

Information supplied by (c) Currumbin Valley Vet Services August 2010

0 Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

©2017 Currumbin Valley Birds & Exotics Vet

CASE STUDIES contain images and videos of procedures some may find distressing.


CASE STUDIES

Articles

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?